The Havasupai Tribe first established residence circa 1300 A.D. and spent much of their time traveling between the plateaus and canyons. During the spring and summer months, the Havasupai tribe could be found in the canyon planting gardens and harvesting food. When the weather turned cold and harsh, the tribe would migrate to the surrounding plateaus and survive through hunting and gathering. Farming and agriculture made up a large portion of their economic power and stability. It was in 1882 when the United States Federal government established the Havasupai Indian Reservation. As a result, the tribe was forced to remain in a paltry 518 acres of land at the bottom of the canyon. This decision led to an extensive loss of their original land including their economic strength. Although the Havasupai lost a good amount of their land, there were some members who continued to use the nearby plateaus for hunting and gathering. They were forced off in 1934. The fight to regain their land began in 1971 lasted until 1974. The law granting their land back to them was signed in 1975, Congress allowed for 185,000 acres of land to be returned to the tribe. Today, the tribe possesses a total of 188,077 acres spread throughout Havasu Canyon. The tribe is also known as Havasu ‘Baaja which literally means “people of the blue-green waters.” They continue to speak the first language they have known over the last thousand years; the Havasupai language.